Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 3: Working With What You Have

I am so proud of my husband today! I knew that he supported our new lifestyle choices but I didn't expect him to embrace it like he did last night. Andy is very fond of iced sweet tea and a certain brand of iced green tea. I don't buy it very often (and I'm certainly not going to during our financial fast) because it is expensive. He can go through a $2-3 gallon in a couple days.

I walked into our kitchen last night and found him scrounging through our many boxes of herbal tea. He took the initiative to find a box of green citrus tea and make his own pitcher of iced green tea. I hadn't even thought about that!

We decided to extend Andy's wisdom of working with things we already had to our lunch. I have a bad habit of buying bread that ends up going moldy before the last of it is used. So for lunch today I told my husband that he could pick what I would make but it had to include the bread. We decided to go with grilled cheese and tomato soup. I used one of the many cans of soup that has been sitting my cabinet for a while. My hubby bagged up the extra sandwich and put the soup in a container. He is going to take it for lunch tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure next time I buy bread, I'm going to put aside half of it and freeze it. That way it'll stay fresh until we have a chance to use it. Then again, with us cooking at home and taking our lunches to work, we may get to our bread a lot faster now.

Tip of the Day: I don't know if it is cheaper, but I always keep a jar of applesauce in my fridge. I use it as a substitute for oil in my baking. It cooks the same and is a lot healthier. Plus I love having a little bowl of applesauce with my lunch.

-Mommy Cori

No comments:

Post a Comment